The Mino Bimaadsawin Community Health Representatives role is to support the health of community members in Saugeen in regards to culture, health and wellness.
The Community Health Representative has a variety of responsibilities and takes a holistic approach the health & wellbeing of the community. This can involve:
- The promotion & prevention of diseases such as Diabetes, Cancer, Hiv/Aids awareness
- Housing related health issues such as well as environmental impact issues
- Working with the EHO for water, animal bites, septic systems
- Works closely with the community health nurse and other departments for programming.
- We also work to support traditional & culture activities, assist to bring in healers and knowledge keepers, and support keepers of medicine through making of salves to give to community members.
- The Good Food Boxes program which results in the delivery of 65-115 boxes per month; half of our client list consists of diabetic clients and the numbers of members ordering the good food boxes are increasing steadily.
- We support our community members through selling at half of the regular cost to support access to healthy fruits and vegetables.
- We have participated in major renovations at the Mino Bimaadsawin Health Centre.
- Supporting pet wellness to assist community members in looking after their pets with vaccinations and neutering to stop the increase of unwanted pets.