The Mino Bimaadsawin Helath Centre’s visiting Foot Care specialist offers many foot care services, delivered by Liz White, R.N..
The offered foot care services include:
- Health teaching related to causes, prevention, and self care of above conditions.
- Toenails: Cutting and filing, including overgrown nails. Reduction of thickened fungal nails using file, nippers and Dremel. Wedging, filing, and packing (ONLY WHERE APPROPRIATE) of involuted nail corners for prevention of ingrowth. Removal of ingrown nails when uncomplicated or referrals to Chiropodist if required.
- Calluses: Assessment to rule out infection or ulceration under the callus. Reduction using file or Credo blade or Dremel as appropriate. Health teaching related to causes, prevention, proper footwear, and self care.
- Corns: Hard: Removal by enucleating with Black’s File, or reducing tissue thickness, using file or Dremel.
- Soft: Assessment, Management and if appropriate, referral to Chiropodist. Health teachings related to causes, prevention, proper footwear, and self care.
We also provide identification and client educations aimed at prevention, management, infection control and self care, of the following conditions of the feet. Referrals to Chiropodist as appropriate for:
- Plantar Warts
- Tinea Pedis (Athlete’s Foot)
- Hammer, Mallet and Claw Toes
High Risk Clients
Recognition and consideration of the following conditions which may affect healing, susceptibility to infection or risk of injury:
- Prescription Medications (anticoagulants, steroids, NSAIDS)
- Vascular Disorder
- Neurological Disorder
- Compromised Immunity
- Cognitive Impairment